Edit Through the Lens: Astronomy, “Rocky Exoplanets” (High Definition)
Before watching the video:
- Activity: Look up the term “habitable zone.” (This will be discussed further in the video clip.)
- Activity: Research why astronomers focus on looking for planets with water.
- Recommended Resource: “NASA’s Kepler Spacecraft Discovers Its First Rocky Exoplanet” (video clip on YouTube)
After the video:
- Discuss: Even though a planet is located in a “habitable zone” or had water at some point in the past, does that automatically mean we should expect to find life on it? Why or why not?
- Activity: Download the free “Exoplanet” app from iTunes. Explore the variety of planets currently known to scientists. Note their differences in size, density, and other parameters.
Return to Through the Lens.