RTB takes the position that the surface temperature of Earth is warming and human activity plays a role in the warming. While the scientific literature clearly supports this position, most discussion of global warming (or climate change) occurs in a politically charged arena. Consequently, we should keep a number of scientific, political and theological points in mind when discussing the topic.
- Measurements clearly show that Earth has been warming over the last hundred years.
- A substantial body of evidence indicates human activity contributes to this warming.
- Many scientists regard the consequences of global warming as already dire and irreversible. RTB maintains that the scientific evidence is not so clear on how severe a problem the warming is or on the best ways to address it.
- Much of the “scientific discussion” in the public arena is actually politically driven (both for and against global warming), with supporters selecting their favorite scientific evidence.
- When having a political discussion, understand that a person’s worldview plays a major role in the position a person will take.
- To properly address the “global warming problem” we need a diverse set of solutions that span the political spectrum
- God is the creator and sustainer of the universe (and Earth in particular) and will accomplish His purposes. That does not mean we can neglect our care for creation.
- God commanded humans to care for and rule over creation, being careful to avoid worshiping the Earth or giving it higher priority than humanity.
- God has structured creation in such a way that the best solutions will both provide for humanity AND care for Earth.
Above all, in debating the different solutions to global warming, apply the golden rule. Treat others (and their arguments) the way you want to be treated—even when the debate gets heated.
Featured Articles on Global Warming
December 2, 2010
Global warming. This topic evokes strong emotions and reactions from many different camps.
December 8, 2009
Is global warming contrived? Are scientists and politicians acting in collusion to ensure a political agenda—one that is detrimental to the economic sovereignty of the United States? What does the Bible say or not say about stewardship of the planet?
August 31, 2009
Atmospheric pressure levels in Earth’s history likely played a critical role in whether the planet would ultimately be suitable for large-bodied animals (including humans).
April 20, 2009
The first Earth Day, April 22, 1970, drew twenty million celebrants and marked the beginning of the modern environmental movement.
Featured Video on Global Warming
Featured Audio on Global Warming
Expand Your Universe
Get connected locally
Chapters play a vital role in introducing RTB and its resources to local communities.
Find a chapter near you »
For adults, children, and teachers
Innovative programs designed to prepare students to stand strong, building their personal growth and development.
Explore our programs »
Show your support for Reasons to Believe
Your donation helps our ministry demonstrate how the latest science affirms our faith in the God of the Bible.
Show your support »