In between the merry-making and festive traditions, Christmas is, for many, also a time of reflection on the meaning of Christ’s first coming and on gratitude to God for the blessings in our lives. My fellow RTB scholars and I share our views on this time of year, what we value about it, and even address some of the mysteries surrounding the Christmas story in this collection of holiday-themed podcasts.
- “Three Reasons Why I Love the Advent Season” — To accompany my article on the Christmas season, I review my personal reasons for cherishing Advent. I hope these reflections will inspire others to think about what they value about this time of year.
- “New Year’s Resolutions for the Mind: 2010” — It’s a safe bet that many of us will be adding healthy eating and exercise to our list of resolutions, but let’s not forget the importance of getting our minds in shape as well. In this podcast I recommend six historic Christian books for your reading list. These works will not only challenge you intellectually, they will also take you through Christian church history.
- “New Year’s Resolutions for the Mind: 2011” — This time around my recommended reading list for the new year features three more books to challenge you intellectually and spiritually. This list includes works by some of my favorite Christian thinkers: C. S. Lewis, Blaise Pascal, and St. Augustine.
I Didn’t Know That
Last year the RTB scholars took a break from our usual I Didn’t Know That!format to reflect on different biblical principles like grace and patience that have impacted our own faith and that influence all believers.
- “Special Christmas Edition: Hugh Ross on God’s Intimate Care”
- “Special Christmas Edition: Jeff Zweerink on Patience”
- “Special Christmas Edition: Kenneth Samples on Grace”
- “Special Christmas Edition: Fuz Rana on Love”
Bonus: Addressing the Christmas Star
We all know Christmas is not without controversies and mysteries. One of the most puzzling features of the biblical Christmas account is the journey of the Magi and the star of Bethlehem. In a special edition of I Didn’t Know That! Hugh Ross, Jeff Zweerink, and I review a popular explanation for the Christmas star featured in The Star of Bethlehem, presented by lawyer Rick Larson.